Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

It has been an interesting day and I was constantly being drawn to the TV to watch the Inauguration of Barack Obama. I was also saddened to see President and Laura Bush make their departure....regardless of what many think, the Bushes are very dignified and gracious and certainly made the Obama's transition go smoothly. President Obama deserves our support and respect and I am more than willing to give him that. It will be interesting to see how he performs.

I read an article from a friend tonight, and I am hoping he doesn't mind if I share his article with you. Dr. Bruce Fong, is President of Michigan Theological Seminary and many years ago was Youth Pastor to Randy and Shari. The following is an excerpt from Bruce's article:

"My commitment to be a good citizen is linked to my Christian faith. As a good citizen, I will let my voice be heard regarding the morals and values that God treasures. The moral climate of our nation concerns me for the next four years.

The plight of the unborn burdens me. I love life. It is sacred. Humans yet to draw their own first breath will face even more dangerous days ahead. Their helpless situation will become more tenuous without the moral commitment to the sanctity of life.

Conversation after church has people of faith feeling uneasy about the near political future. Imposition of federal standards defining morality may threaten our Christian beliefs. Concerns along this line are more realized than ever with the changes that promise to come.

Impingement on our individual rights to bear arms may be threatened. That is a topic of conversation around neighborhood diners. Sporting goods stores are temporarily happy with the high volume of gun sales. Apparently, the public is afraid that the second amendment is in jeopardy so they are buying what they can while weapons for personal protection can still be purchased.

It has all been about change. But a lot of the change that I have heard is fear, concern, doubt, and frustration. This side of America is not making the national news. But, concerned citizens are discussing it among themselves.

Part of that tentative nature is the confusion over the race issue. On one hand this election was not about race. Yet, when it was completed, then it was touted as a historic moment that was all about race.

No, I didn’t get to join in on the ceremony, celebration or pomp. I was too busy working a normal workday. After all, most of us had to be at work today. Someone has to pay for the national bill of more than $150 Million for the party in D.C."

Thank you Dr. Fong

No comments: