I have been thinking of my Mother today....tomorrow (Jan 22nd) she would have been 96 years old. There is never a day that passes that I do not think of her. She was a loving Mother who instilled solid values in her children.
A couple of years ago, I wrote a letter to my Granddaughter, Tiffany, to share a little heritage about the women in her past and present. I thought I would share this with you.
Dear Tiffany: This is a history lesson on part of your heritage......At my age I'm not sure I will be around to tell you this and I should have talked to you about it before. I see a side of you that I greatly admire and it's your strength and determination.
On my side of the family you come from a long line of very strong and determined women. My great Grandmother was a woman of strength and known for her organizational abilities.....my great Aunt (her daughter) was the first woman Customs Broker in the United States....a very successful, but strict woman. She had an excellent business mind and was known in the community for helping others....This was during a time when women did not step in the business world. She was determined to succeed and she did. She could stand up against the strongest and best of businessmen and they greatly admired her. I didn't get along with her because I think I was a lot like her.....very determined in my own ways.
My Mother was an extremely strong and determined woman, until illness slowed her down. She possessed many excellent gifts......strength, determination, organization, faith and a caring heart. She was very active in The American Cancer Society, The Heart Association, Church and Youth Leader and many other community organization. She was always the first to help others in need. She was a hard worker, an excellent seamstress and cook. She loved gardening and working with the soil. She not only taught me, but she always showed me, what her faith meant in her life. She was also a great believer that it was always an honor and privilege to be loved and protected by the men in our lives....but NEVER controlled.
My Mother loved to entertain..... she loved fine china and crystal and setting a beautiful table. This is one gift that I was happy that she passed down to me. She was an outstanding cook and I often tease Grandpa Wayne that he married me because of my Mother's cooking.
Then there came me.......strong, stubborn and determined...heehee! Strong not in health or body, but strong in determination. I think I inherited some of these qualities from the women before me, as I have always had a good business mind, organizational skills and the determination to succeed. It is a heritage that I am proud of, as they were all women of great faith and my faith was and is always the foundation of everything that I did and do.
Aunt Shari has also been gifted with our heritage. She too, is a strong, determined woman. She has outstanding leadership abilities and organizational skills......she uses her abilities and gifts to lead in the community and her Church. Do you know that she will probably be the Chairperson of Angel Charity next year? There is no doubt in my mind that she will be outstanding in this position. This is one of the highest volunteer positions held in Tucson and she has been highly sought after to accept this position. She is usually the first to step forward to help someone else.
Now you Tiff.......this is early in your life, but I do see some of this very strengths and determination that the women before you have possessed. I saw this in you at a very early age and with this same determination I know you will step forward and succeed in whatever you set forth to do. It doesn't mean that life is going to be easy, but you have the ability to over come all the obstacles that life throws at you. Just remember that the women in your past have always relied on their faith to take them through the deep valleys and onward up the hills.
Never let pride stop you from succeeding. God has blessed the women in our past with many gifts and they are always to be used to honor and glorify Him. These same women would never allow alcohol to interfere with their mind or their abilities to succeed.
I also see strength and determination in some of my nieces. Wow, what a heritage we have been given and then we are given the choices as to what to do with it!!
Tiff, I hope you print this and tuck it away and perhaps someday you will have a daughter that you can share a little of this heritage with her....a little of her past. I am so proud to have a heritage of strong, determined and able women!!
Much love, Grams
No comments:
Post a Comment