Sunday, April 26, 2009

Gus Balon's Restaurant



I am determined to keep a blog as a journal for my family and yet the days are over before they begin. This past week was no exception. Then I must make the decision of several small blogs, or do I lump things together? Decisions, decisions - ha! I'll just start in and see where things take me.

Besides the usual Doctor appointments, baseball games, visiting with friends, Shari and I have been making trips to Sahaurita to check out paint and gather ideas for this beautiful new home. Of course, this is so much fun, as I am totally in my element.

Our days are beginning to heat up, as our Summer is upon us. Of course this makes our evenings warm and awesome. Our evenings are spent on the porch drinking fresh lemonade and visiting with any neighbors who happen along. I love my rocker on the porch, as it fits my back perfectly.

This is also the time of year that we will think twice before turning on the oven. It doesn't take much to heat up this little nest.
And.....since it is extremely hard for me to stand for any length of time, Wayne and I usually eat one meal out each day and then we will have a light dinner in the evening. Tucson has an array of fine restaurants and we certainly know most of them.....but, we have this favorite little 'hole in the wall' that we love.

Gus Balons Restaurant has been a fixture in Tucson for many, many years. When Gus died, his Granddaughter took over the restaurant. His widow now lives in our Resort Park. We love this little eating place.....it is spotless!! Everything is made from scratch, including bread, rolls, pies, giant cinnamon rolls, soup and all of their meals.....even the mashed potatoes. The waitresses all wear matching shirts and the cooks always in clean whites.....which is a rarity anymore. Besides excellent quality food, they do a daily special plus a blue plate special. Prices are hard to beat.....their daily special is $6.99 and includes a homemade dinner roll and coffee or tea. The Blue Plate special is usually $4.20...smaller portions (just right) and also includes coffee/tea. They are not open on Sundays and they close each day at 3 PM. They put out a hearty breakfast and they have a large breakfast crowd plus patio eating. Best of all....they are very close to where we live. This is NOT a picture of me in front of the Restaurant.

This doesn't happen often......but, if I am alone and I am having a bad PD day, they notice immediately and will be right there to cut my meat for me. I have far more good days than bad so I won't complain.

On your next trip to Tucson be sure to visit our little 'hole in the wall'......you will probably meet us there!
Until then.....I'm a happy and blessed Arizona Gramma.

No comments: