
Miz Bailey continues to be a challenge, but we are seeing little changes daily. She is such a sweet little dog and our hearts break just knowing how abused she was.
She is most comfortable staying entirely in her bed or up against the wall hiding her head, but we don't let this happen for long periods of time. She is beginning to be more social....not to strangers, but to me. She likes to sit on my lap and in my office. She loves riding in the car in her booster seat and sitting on the porch with me. Today I took her in the golf cart and she was great...as long as she could snuggle close to me.
At night I had put a small bed on the floor next to our bed, but she wouldn't have a thing to do with it. However, this morning when I woke up she was sound asleep in this little bed. I was so excited!! I had been leaving our bedroom door partially open, hoping she would eventually come in.....and yep, there she was. It is amazing how excited we get with the slightest improvements.
She was so frightened of her leash, so I put it on her and just let her walk around with it trailing behind.....she finally realized that it wasn't going to hurt her and now she is okay with it.....just time and patience. She will now stay by me when I feed her and she loves her food. In the beginning I had to sit her food down and walk away.....not anymore.
Her bath is traumatic....I end up as wet as she does, plus the kitchen gets a bath too. I am taking her to our Vet next week, and I think that is going to be traumatic also. Potty Pad training her will be a BIG challenge....we haven't started that yet, as I think it would be a lost cause. As soon as she has our entire trust, that will happen and then hopefully, the travel bag will follow.
As soon as I know it is 'safe' to let her out of the kitchen, she is beginning to venture into the other rooms and will run back and forth from kitchen to my office. That is really a biggie!! Eye contact for her is very difficult and when in her bed, she will usually face the wall. We are seeing marked improvement in this area.
We shower her with lots of love, which is very easy to do. We love her dearly and just knowing we have made her life much better is worth it all. Starting today, she has wanted to follow me and be with me wherever I am...that is really exciting!
Blessings galore with Miz Bailey, so I remain a Blessed and Happy Arizona Gramma
4 comments:
Like seeing the pics of your "baby". She is adorable! It's amazing how these animals can worm their way into our hearts!
So sad that she was abused but she is lucky to have patient and loving parents like you.
Oh Mary Ann, I was so touched by Miz Bailey's Blog entry. I LUUUUVVV animals, and your story of her from where "she was" to where she is now, is a heartwarming Christmas story for me. Thanks!!
Wonderful story, Mary Ann: Love it and it warmed my heart....Thanks!!
Post a Comment